Geoge Gribbler owner of MBC establishes Lager Brewery on this site in 1868, this corner becomes known as the “Brewery Corner”. G. Boley (born Oct. 23, 1844) is hired as brewer and subsequently buys MBC in 1880 for $1,400.00. Boley dies in 1900 and MBC is operated by Grott and Damgard from 1900 until 1905, when Michael Worts (son-in-law of Boley) takes over until he is sentenced twice during prohibition for making and selling beer.
Back loading area of the McHenry Brewing company where they bottled and sampled beer.
“Patsy” Boley (son of Gottlieb), center and brother-inlaw Peter Worts, on the right, enjoying Buffalo Beer with a friend on the loading dock of McHenry Brewery.
Prohibition 1919 - 1933
During prohibition the Brewery Corner becomes a gas station, while beer is still brewed in the basement and beer is piped under Pearl Street to a sleep easy for distribution. The current owner ( Michael Worts - son-in-law of G. Boley) of MBC serves two sentences for making and selling beer.
Prohibition Appealed - 1933
MBC re-activated by new owner William Kline and remains opened until six months after Pearl Harbor attack.
Boley - Brewer's Break
Gottlieb F. Boley head brewer from 1880 until his son takes over.
This may well be the only existing pictue of the inside of the McHenry Brewery. It was taken before 1900 in the cellar of the frame part of the brewery and shows Gottlieb F. Boley resting from his labors and checking a small sample of his product.
Gottlieb C. (Patsy) Boley’s Master in the Art of Brewing certificate in 1902.
McHenry Beer Sign
Found at the Brewery Corner, one of the first metal signs for beer from McHenry Brewing 1861, remember McHenry was established as a city in 1864.